The Visual Artist Residency Program at El Museo Latino is designed specifically to foster the growth of Latino artists in the Omaha region, and to connect them in collaborative working relationships with Latino artists from other parts of the United States and world. The Visual Artist Residency Program supports a wide-range of studio and community-engaged practices, and El Museo Latino encourages artists from all professional and educational backgrounds to apply.
In order to be eligible, artists must: (1) live within 60 miles of Omaha; (2) identify as Latino/a; and (3) have completed a high school-level education.
In order to complete the application, you will be asked to provide: (1) resume or curriculum vitae; (2) artist statement; (3) between 10 and 20 images of work; (4) a works list describing the submitted images; and (5) letter of support (optional).
There is no fee to apply.
The 2017 Visual Artist Residency Program runs from June 1 - July 31, 2017, and applicants who are accepted will be required to spend at least 15 hours per week advancing their practice through experimentation and learning.
Benefits for our Omaha artists-in-residence include:
• dedicated studio space and access to equipment inside of the museum
• a monthly stipend of $500
• studio visits from national and international curators and other art world professionals
• eligibility for a post-residency exhibition/performance/display of work at El Museo Latino
• for appropriate residents, an artist assistant from El Museo Latino’s arts program for youth
• support for professional tasks such as developing an artist statement, preparing a portfolio of work, and applying for artist opportunities.
The application portal will open on February 1, 2017, with completed applications due by February 28, 2017. Successful applicants will be notified of their residency no later than March 31, 2017.